The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge. - Proverbs 1:7a

45 Years of Legalized Abortion in America

By Pastor Bob Fleischmann, CLR's National Director
January 2018

45 Years of Legalized Abortion in America 
By Pastor Bob Fleischmann, CLR's National Director
 
You get to a point where the number gets so large, the time that has past has been so long, that you grow numb to it. It was 45 years ago on January 22, 1973 the U.S. Supreme Court legalized the practice of abortion throughout the 50 states and American territories.
 
For the first year, over 600,000 unborn babies dying seems catastrophic. Now, 45 years later, the total number of unborn children aborted since legalization is now over 60,000,000. The number is so large and the time has been so long that we are tempted to surrender.
 
Without a doubt abortion has changed our culture. This direct assault on the creative right of God is coming with consequences. The number of abortions has plummeted the available workforce to sustain social security. In a modestly health economy it is becoming difficult to find workers. Schools have experienced declining enrollments. More than 36 million of those aborted children would have been in the workforce, adding to our productivity, paying taxes, and helping our economy.
 
Based on the Diffusion of Innovation theory, 1.5 million of those 60 million unborn children would have been innovators of our society. Those are the ones who come up with the new ideas, the revolutionary cures, and the solutions to life's big problems.
 
Despite all of this, God remains with his faithful people. Paul reminds us to not grow weary of doing good (Galatians 6:9), even though it is wearisome work.
 
There is no replacement for living the truth. Everything else is an illusion. We never made a mistake in speaking up for those who cannot speak for themselves (Proverbs 31:8-9) and in sacrificing time to help in a cause that appears to have little traction (Philippians 2:3-4).
 
Nothing would make me happier than to move beyond the abortion issue. We certainly have many other issues to worry about. But abortion is still here. For about 55% of those getting an abortion, it is a first-time decision. Many act out of ignorance, still believing it is something less than human. For the remaining 45%, their abortions are repeats. For them abortion has become a surgical form of birth control.
 
For the rest, abortion becomes an opportunity to talk about the Creator of life and its Redeemer, Jesus Christ. In the end, God-pleasing living can only be rooted in faith (Romans 14:23; Hebrews 11:6). That means our mission has not changed. As we speak up and speak out our goal is to point to Christ. Our efforts ultimately find success in the proclamation of God's Word, condemning all creation because of sin, and announcing forgiveness in Christ. Only by the work of the Holy Spirit can hearts of death become hearts of life.
 
On this 45th anniversary of legalized abortion in America I encourage you to stick to your principles. You never were wrong in feeling uncomfortable about abortion. Find in this tragedy a great opportunity to proclaim life that last forever through Christ. 

Get Inspired!
Subscribe
 to our monthly email, Life Light, for guidance from God's Word on life and family issues. Enjoy articles, Q&As, devotions and resources designed for you - delivered right to your inbox.


Would a friend, relative, or acquaintance find a particular page or article useful? Fill out the form below to send it to a friend!

 
 Your Name:    
 Your Email:    
   
 Friend's Name:    
 Friend's Email:    
 Include Note:    
 Type the 2 words:
 

Please fill out the small form below to leave a comment or suggestion about the page you were just visiting.  Any and all feedback is appreciated!  Your feedback will help make our website even better.

 
 Your Name:    
 Email:    
 Phone:    
 Feedback:    
 Type the 2 words:
 
Quantcast